Volunteer at Kimball
If you are interested in applying to volunteer at Kimball or with another SPS site, visit the district Volunteer Applications Information page.
If you were approved in the past to volunteer at Kimball or a SPS site, your status may still be eligible or you may need to renew by updating information, including giving consent to process a current state background check.
Log on to your volunteer account on the Seattle Schools webpage, using the email you had initiated your application.
If you are interested in engaging with direct support to students, such as classroom breakout room facilitators or tutors, proceed with a national background check ($22):
After logging in to your Volunteer account, select “EDIT PROFILE” to access your application:
- Go to a section titled “Determining Your Background Check” and select option “2. I have lived in Washington State for the past 3 years but would like to purchase a national background check.”
- Save the application at the bottom of the page.
- An email from our national background check vendor Sterling Volunteers will arrive in your inbox shortly – check your “junk/spam/bulk” folder if you can’t locate it.
- Follow included instructions. Sterling Volunteers will notify you as soon as your background check is complete.
Following clearance of your national background check, two references will be contacted and you will be interviewed with Kimball staff.
Once approved, you will coordinate and teamwork with teachers for online volunteering, completing session reports at the end of each day.
Feel free to email Ms. Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org for log in information or with further questions regarding Volunteering at Kimball.
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit Volunteer
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Visit the SPS Volunteer page for more information.
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application in 2021. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with log-in instructions to renew your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly.
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!